[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

some questions

Prepare yourself, maybe these are dumb questions, but I'll have to ask
anyway ;) :

1 - grounding a center-tapped NST: now where to connect that CT to? Mains
GND is bad idea, and not to the secondary RF ground either. The problem is
that if one side of my NST fails, there'll be a +2kVAC..-2kVAC between the
NST casing and one HV connector, and the mains connector clips are so
badly designed for this NST they have virtually no distance at all to the
casing. Not nice.
So do you in general need a third ground for the NST center tap?

2 - on RF filters on the HV side of a NST: shouldn't the huge inductance
of the NST (4000 Henry or so?), be in itself enough to make a >700kHz
signal see an effectively open circuit?  Because, jwL would be larger
than 20 Gigaohm (taken that the tank cap is shorted out).

3 - I've a round metal (Zn/Sn/Fe) plate on both ends of a wax & urethane
varnish filled secondary, and the growing suspicion that the bottom plate
draws lots of power the from the primary. In style of those quarter/coin
shrinkers... Is this so? Better tear&saw off the bottom plate?

Jan

--
 Jan Florian Wagner
 jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi, petwag-at-kolumbus.fi