[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Tank Cap in Series or Parallel?

>P.S. I am using 1/2" diam sched 40 posts to suspend my primary platform and
>the tube will extend above to hold the strike rail.
>
>P.P.S. we should have an award made of PVC to the person who uses the most
>PVC in their coil <smile>

hmmmm....well, we already have the Jolt Award here in the group, it's like a
Geek C.M.H. :)

Yesterday we machined the 6 supports for the Primary from 1/2" UHMW-PE and
it's great. We did it on a vertical mill and the stuff cuts like butter.
Finally it LOOKS like a tesla Coil!

We cut 1/4" wide grooves a little over 1/2" deep with 1/4" between slots.
Just for kicks we laid it out on a table with the sec. sitting in the
middle. Without the pri supports bolted down we were able to lace the
primary in under 5 min! It just drops right in and looks perfect. I HIGHLY
reccomend this for anyone building a primary. It can be laced and unlaced in
minutes with no aggrevation, and we will be building a 10, 15, and 30deg
primary as well for experimentation.

Also the primary needs no other means of fastening, the friction of the UHMW
supports holds it firmly in place, no bolts, glue or Ty-Wraps at all.

Here's the final specs:

6" sec, wound 24" with 4"extra tube on bottom and 2" on top capped with
white PVC caps. Wound on a lathe and coated by total submersion in enamel
several times with bakeing in between. It will never be totally dry though,
it's still a little tacky to the tough and is a dust magnet......could be a
problem. We will bake the next one longer between coats. Wound with 24AWG
high temp motor wire.

Primary:
12 turns (we only had 50' and need a strike rail) 1/4" tubeing, 1/4"
spaceing, flat spiral. .75" sec-1st turn 2" above table and 2" below 1st
turn of sec at 0 position (sec can be raised and lowered). Supports are 1/2"
thick UHMW.

Base:

ok: we havent build this yet (waiting on the disks to be shipped here) and
we have an idea.

Can a 1/2" thick 2'dia disk of UHMW be placed on top of the primary and
shield agains a pri strike? Or have we just designed a giant cap?

2'dia X 1/2" UHMW (Upper table) with a 7" hole in the center. Primary mounts
bolt (Nylon) to this.

Struts:
4 tubes of 4"dia X 24" White PVC with 26" pieces of 1/4"-20 Nylon threaded
rod through the center to bolt them to the upper and lower tables. Held in
tension (like monocoque).

Lower table:
1/2" X 2'dia sheet of plywood to hold NST, Gap, and eventually MMC.
4 casters bolted to bottom.

Toroid:

26" bicycle wheel with 4" Al duct where the tire would be, held on with a
very open wrap of electrical tape. The whole assembly is covered with Al
tape. The toroid support is a 5"dia X 4" tall piece of PVC (Failed attempt
at RQ Gap) and sits on top of sec.

Any questions? Ideas?

I don't know about the PVC award, but we might be elicible for the Nylon
award (the threaded rods put us over the top) or the UHMW award.
Just don't make us have to pay for the UHMW to make the thing! They're proud
of that stuff! Glad we have sponsors, we could NEVER have afforded to buy
the sheets we needed.

Have fun campers, and don't get dead!

whos-at-geekgroup-dot-org ? Heck I dunno, whos-at-geekgroup-dot-org ?
Chris Boden, that's who!

Christopher A. Boden Esq.
President / Founder
The Geek Group