[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Maxwell Capacitor abuse

Maxwell doesn't specify AC or DC.  Mine are just labeled 45KV.

The Maxwell web site has some interesting data relating voltage reversals
and voltage to expected life.  A new Maxwell double-ended cap is rated at
10^8 (a few are rated 10^9) discharge cycles at the rated voltage, with a
20% voltage reversal.  A chart at:
http://www.maxwell-dot-com/energy/comp_syst/products
<http://www.maxwell-dot-com/energy/comp_syst/products>  , (look for High voltage
capacitors -> Next -> Series PD -> "Basic Cap Facts") shows what happens
when one increases the voltage reversal.  At the rated 20% reversal, the
coefficient is 1.0.  At 50% the coefficient is 0.15 (i.e. rated at 0.15 x
10^8 discharge cycles).  At 70% it is 0.037.  The chart doesn't go beyond
80%.  Not sure how to quantify voltage reversal in our application, but it's
certainly a lot more than 20%.  Clearly a fast-quenching system will last
longer.

On the up-side, another chart relates charging voltage with life expectancy.
Exceeding the rated voltage by 20% reduces the life by 50%.  But running at
70% of the rated voltage will increase the life by a factor of 10!  Running
at about 54% of the rated voltage will increase the life by a factor of
100!!  And 40% of the voltage will get you 1000 times the life!!!

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA