[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC Charging

Hi Ralph:
I was wondering if you were off by a decimal place in your gap dimensions?
You say that " No way is that NST going to jump 0.05, let alone 0.075".  If
you meant 1/2 to 3/4", you may be right, but 50-75 thousandths is tiny for a
gap.

>Original Poster: Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com <mailto:Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>
>>With my 15/60 (unmodified) NST, I found a significant improvement in going
from a .01uF to .02uF cap, going >>from 51" to 60" arcs.  I use a 0.34"
single air-vac static gap.
>>Your NST should have no trouble charging your cap to break down a .075"
gap
>>(very small for use with a 15KV power supply).
>Gary,
>That's sort of what I thought. I am not blowing any air across the gap, at
least not yet, but that shouldn't keep the >5/60 NST from charging 0.022 uF.
No way is that NST going to jump 0.05, let alone 0.075. Wow! Maybe the NST
>has a HV short?
>I have tried all possible circuit configurations:
>Cap, SG and primary in parallel with NST
>Cap in parallel with NST and SG in series with primary (works great)
>Cap n series with primary and SG across the NST (works great)
>This bipolar coil IS NOT the twin-tower, Brian Basura type. I have 22
inches of # 30 wound on 3.5 inch diam >PVC. This forms the secondary. The
primary is a 12-turn, 7-inch diam coil of 3/16 Cu tubing. The whole thing is