[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark Gap Oscillator Efficiency

  Steve, Ed, All -

  The lamp test for the efficiency of a small Tesla coil is shown in my
Tesla Coil Construction Guide. The overall efficiency for this particular
coil was 56%. This test for a small coil is relatively simple and I assume
many coilers who have my book have performed this test. However, this is a
spark output not an RF output test.

  This coil produced a spark rating of 389 watts per foot of spark. This
agrees closely with the Tesla Coil Efficiency graph I show in my Tesla Coil
Notebook, Fig 7. The graph is based on empirical data collected from many
sources.

  I do not believe anyone has collected enough data to make an efficient
graph for tube coils for either spark or RF outputs. However, it is my
understanding that tube coils are much less efficient compared to Tesla
coils when all of the losses including filament losses are taken into
consideration.

  John Couture