Bart Update

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi guys,

Just a quick update on what I'm up to right now.

I want to get my coil resolved as to why my error is so high. I went back
through dimensions today (yes, again):

Secondary = 43.375" x 12.75", .0403" (18 awg), 998 turns.
Primary = 16.75" ID, 33.24" OD, 0.375" wire size, 11.6 turns.

I carefully measured everything to get detail.

I got my Beckman meter working today (new battery). I had to use the
Beckman for secondary volt readings (amp capability low). I checked sec
volt measurements (Beckman to Fluke) and found the Beckman reading high by
0.480 V (while checking low coupling measurements) (I ensured one meter did
not affect the other - actually the Fluke did affect the Beckman - but the
result in the end was the Beckman reading high at 0.48V).

I measured concentric amp volt readings today. Not much of a change.

With detail dimensions latest acmi (at +2" pri) calc'd 0.204 where I
measured 0.196. Acmi calc'd 0.196 K at 1.5" = 1/2" difference.

I'm going to attempt to flip the primary over and take some zero base
readings to see if there is any change with winding direction and if so,
how much.

I only checked the high coupling portion this time (0 to +2 pri above sec -
greatest error).

That's what I'm up to at the moment.

Something else I'm thinking about is possibly raising the secondary vs.
raising the primary to keep the ground plane constant to the primary. I'm
not sure if this will make a difference, but maybe. Terry, I think you
raised the secondary - correct? I'll have to build a similar contraption
for secondary height adjustment. Maybe a pvc pipe thingy with 1/4" slide
through dowel holes to raise or lower.

Take care,
Bart