Tesla's shock

Original poster: "Terry Fritz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <terrellf-at-uswest-dot-net>

Hi All,

While reading the book "Tesla - Master of Lighting" I ran across this
interesting passage:

When working with high voltages, Tesla always kept one hand in his pocket
to avoid completing a deadly circuit.  Still there was danger enough.  A
reporter for the "New York Herald" wrote on March 13, 1895, that he came
across the inventor in a small Cafe, looking shaken after being hit by 3.5
million volts.

"I am afraid," said Tesla, "that you won't find me a pleasant companion
tonight.  The fact is I was almost killed today.  The spark jumped three
feet through the air and struck me here on the right shoulder.  I tell you
it made me feel dizzy.  If my assistant had not turned of the current
instantly it might has been the end of me.  As it was, I have to show for
it a queer mark on my right breast where the current struck in and a burned
heel in one of my socks where it left my body."

Apparently, he claimed to have produced 4 million volt arcs at 16 feet in
his New York Laboratory...  Before it burn down...  It sounds like Tesla
could have caught a power arc here.  A simple 3 foot streamer hit probably
would have not made the impression on Tesla that this hit obviously did.

Be careful out there!

Cheers,

	Terry