Re: Toroid from inner tube

Original poster: "Thomas McGahee by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>

1) build a jig that allows you to rotate an inner tube several times a minute.

2) Partially fill the inner tube with a fast setting resin (say 1/4 full).

3) Use air to fill tire to actual desired final size.

4) Use jig to continuousely rotate the tire. Rotate until resin has
FULLY hardened.

5) Use razor blade to remove inner tube.

6) Use files/rasps to clean up shape around area where air valve
was located.

TADAA! You should now have a HOLLOW plastic toroid. Apply metal foil
tape and pizza pan type center.

I haven't tried this, but I think if one carefully controlled the
process it might produce a useable toroid.

The jig that rotates the tire shouldn't slip, as a smooth rotation
would be necessary.

Fr. Tom McGahee