Re: Of Resistors, First Light, and SparkGaps

Original poster: "Mike Novak by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmnovak-at-email.msn-dot-com>

Hi Simon,

Your resistors are acting as self-safety gaps. Just choke down the real
safety gap and you won't have a problem. However, this does limit the
bangsize of the system. You'll have to use a larger cap to achive a higher
power level rather than increasing gap distance. I'm really not a big fan of
heat in tesla coils (no pun intended). When it comes to using resistors in
filter circuitry, I've decided to massively over-engineer mine. I'm using a
series-parallel combination of high power resistors to achive a larger
degree of heat-dissipation and voltage distribution. I just bought 40 15
watt resistors from ebay. Each are rated at 1.2kOhm, so I'll be using 3
strings of 6 resistors in series to get a total resistance of 2.4K per leg.
This, combined with a safety gap, and 1.1nF bypass cap will make this a
nealy indestructible filter circuit. Also, I've decided to mount everything
on a sheet of CE phenolic (formerly known as bakelite) which has a temp
range from -30 to 200 deg C... Not too bad if the thing gets struck by an
arc and decides to go nuclear.
"Overkill" is my specialty :-D
Till next time,

-Mike