From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2000 7:35 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: NST PFC cap question

Original poster: "kevin wilson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<thebiggiantkevin-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I just hooked up a pair of 100uF 100V non-polar electrolytic caps in series
(closest to the needed 41uF I could get) to the primary of my 15kV, 30mA NST
Snipperzzz...
Hi Kevin ...
2 things going against you here...

1 .  PFC caps are hooked up in parallel with the 120V in
2.   you need motor run caps   ( electrolytics wont work with AC too long
they go BANG !! )
the motor run caps are normally 6" tall 3" wide and 1-2" thick  oval shaped
in an aluminum case try to find a couple that are rated for 240V 30 or so
uF.

Scot D

I actually did have the caps in parallel with the 120V input; the two caps I
used were in series with each other. It gets hard to explain with all the
series and parallel going on (sorry). Thanks for your information, I do
appreciate it, but leads me to a couple more questions. Where can I find
these run caps, and how much should I expect to pay for them? Are they
generally relatively rugged- will used ones be almost as good as new? Thanks
for the help, Kevin