Re: Spark Gaps

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

< "Ed Phillips wrote:
> I have run my small coil here (3" x 14" secondary, 30" streamers with
> 12 kV, 60 ma transformer) using an antique AMRAD quenched gap circa
> 1920.  No light or sound from the gap, only from secondary discharge and
> much more "pleasant" to behold.  Unfortunately the gap breaks down at
> only 8000 volts, so can't get full output.
>
> Ed  >>
>
> Hi Ed,
>
> If you could get two of these vacuum quenched gaps and run them in series,
> then you could run 16 kV before breakdown and effectively quadruple the
> primary tank energy. I bet that would give more than a 30" discharge!
>
> MHO,
> David Rieben

	You bet it would!!!  I'm not sure if you're referring to the old gap I
have or something from another thread.  Unfortunately there isn't much
surplus "wireless" material left from World War 1, and that's what this
particular gap happens to be.  A very rare antique.

Ed