Re: VTTC Coil/Discharge Pictures-Variacs for sale

Original poster: "Dr. John Gudenas by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <comsciprof-at-ameritech-dot-net>

> > Hi All
> >  I have put up pictures of my VTTC-3 test coil and some interesting
> discharge
> >  shots. This is a tripple 811A coil that has been used as my test
vehicle.
> >  The geometry is not he best, but, it works well.  Go to
> >  www.scifair-dot-org/hvdata
> >
> > Dr. John,
>
> Very nice !!   BTW, do you find the sparks are a little longer using
> the toroid (assuming proper tune in both cases)?  I saw a 1" gain in
> spark length for a 19" spark.  We may have discussed this, I forget.
>
> Cheers,
> John Freau
>
> Hi John
There is no question that the spark length increases with the toroid. In
some cases, with this small coil, 1 to 1/12 inches.
However, the toroid must be matched to the coil. I experimented with three
different top loads until I found the proper balance. It should be noted
that the toroid likely will only benefit in pulsed mode or self
rectification. The explanation is in Bazelyan's book on Spark Discharge.
With tube coils the difficulty is to get the energy to leave the secondary
at the proper timing to form streamers that are as long as possible. (Over
simplification ..but general concept).
Thanks for the good words. (Recognize your toroid?)
John W. G.