Re: Spark Gaps

Original poster: "Bill Parn by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <parn-at-starpower-dot-net>

I would think a good portion of the accoustic noise in a spark gap is the
displacement of air, however some of it is from smashing and blasting of
atoms, which consumes energy and makes noise as well.  Therefore I would
believe that a vacumm gap would be somewhat more efficient with the lowered
noise.

However I have some questions, does  a vacumm gap require the electrodes to
be closer?
This would preserve energy as well if the answer is yes.

Has anybody tried to measure the energy loss in a vacumm gap as opposed
to a standard air gap?  So as to get some conclusive evidence on the
theories.

I am a little worried about X-Ray radiation here though.  Maybe someone
should try putting a photographic plate under or over the vacumm gap and
test for this.  In a good vacumm those electrons are going to be traveling
quite
fast and hit the receiving electrode with a potentially high enough force to
produce some potentially lethal radiation.  Just a thought.  Might be time
to build a lead container for this vacumm gap.

William L. Parn