Re: 155 KV 100 MA Rectifiers & AC Meters

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Since so many of you can build synchronous rotary gaps, why not make
> synchronous
> rotary bridge rectifiers?  They were used for
> real prior to thermionic valves becoming man enough for the job, i.e. up to
> around 1920-ish for hospital X-ray tube service, e.g. a set by Siemens
Brothers
> and Halske of 250kV (this is the photo I will post) so the odd 10kV or
two will
> be no bother.  If you already have a synchronous gap, you could mount a
> mechanical rectifier bridge on the same shaft for dc operation.
>
> It'll be a month before my site is done (at least - I've only just
started) but
> I'll post details here when it's working.  If you are desperate, email me
and I
> can send you a jpeg off list.
>
> Dunckx
> G0UTY (ex-ON9CHU)

	Those things were also used in Cottrel (sp?) dust precipitators for
smoke stacks, which ran all of the time and were a major source of
interference in the early radio broadcast.  I used to have an old
battery charger using a synchronous vibrating reed with a permanent
magnet bias.  Almost no loss, but again a giant noise generator.

	None of this should be noticeable in TC service, as the gap and coil
are the major RFI generators and most guys don't run them continuously.
(Those who tried have probably all been shot by their neighbors!)

Ed