Re: Coupling coeff. vs Voltage gain (was Re: Who needs a quenching gap ?)

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Correct. The same occurs with the other special values of the coupling
> coefficient. The currents cross zero, and at the same time the
> primary voltage touches zero without a polarity reversal, while the
> secondary voltage is maximum.

	Don't think Antonio has stated this explicitly, but at this moment ALL
of the energy which was stored in the primary capacitor has been
transferred to the secondary. For this condition the "voltage rise"
should be very close to sqrt(Cp/Cs) as, for almost any imaginable
circuit Q, there has been no appreciable energy dissipated.

> Isn't interesting how a so simple and linear circuit (two coupled LC
> tanks) can exhibit a so complex behavior?

	Indeed!  Can't remember if you have stated this explicitly, but the
circuits are, in effect, oscillating at two frequencies simultaneously;
the higher the k the more separated they are until, at k=1, one is zero
and the other is infinity.

> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

	I think you have published the solution for the infinite Q case
(lossless inductor and capacitor), but have you worked it out for the
lossy case, and particularly the case where primary and secondary Q's
are different?  I've always been too lazy to go that far.

Ed