Re: Will this work?

Original poster: "Mike Novak by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmnovak-at-email.msn-dot-com>

Gary,
 I agree, vaseline is a great potting material, however, it DOES leak. I
tried using it to pot an ignition coil with a moded primary and it is a bit
messy. If you have a container with a lid which allows for some
pressure-release, then I'd say go for it. The thing I like most about it is,
when your xformers get hot, you'll be the first to know, so you won't end up
with a big deep-fried NST.
As far as the oil containing moisture, I'm gonna have to disagree here.
Although it may have a handfull of H2O in a gallon of oil, for the most
part, it is pretty pure. As we all know, water and oil do not mix (i.e.
water is polar; oil is non-polar) . If there is any water, it should settle
at either the top or bottom of the oil depending on density.
I think it's also safe to say using shortening would be a BadThing(tm)*...
My $0.00002

-Mike

*- BadThing(tm) is a registered trademark of Sundog(tm) Inc. (j/K)