PLEASE HELP ME WITH A BALLAST

Original poster: "Mike Waddick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mikew-at-winternet-dot-com>

hey all,

I am putting together a nice coil for some one and I need a ballast that is
adjustable. I will be using a PT that is 1500va continuous duty but I will run
it at 3kva with little problems (hopefully).

 I would use a variac but I cant find just one high current unit, Anyone have
any suggestions for where to get a high current variac? and if so what size?

I was also thinking of making a ballast and I have seen that people have use
toroids cores wrapped with PVC insolated wire. Where do people get these?

and my major question is HOW MANY TURNS AND WHAT GAUGE WIRE. I have not been
able to find this anywhere, could someone give me some calcs?

also I want this to be high quality so I really don't want to use MOT's (I also
have a hard time finding them)

Thanks in advance,

MIKE