8 inch coil at 100 amps

Original poster: "D.Wightman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dwightman-at-mmcable-dot-com>

After trying and trying again, it seems that my 8 inch coil will never run at
100 amps. From burning out the secondary several times, to adding "creepage
disks", it just won't digest all that juice! The rsg will severely burn out
electrodes and performance stays the same. It is capable of only about 45 amps
input to the pig and that is it! My theory about this is that the wire diameter
on the secondary is 22 guage. The electrons want to flow on the outside of the
conductor. It seems that the coil is just maxed out. Larger wire diameter on
the secondary should allow the coil to put out longer sparks. Yes that means
building a bigger coil. Also i've been thinking about Kevin Eldridges coil,
which is doing 24 feet. He is using stranded wire which would make one think,
"more surface area". Ahaaa!!!!! Of course his coil is 24 inches in diameter,
and is using somewhere around 10 or 12 guage wire. Don't quote me on that wire
size, But regardless of that if he puts 60 amps to his coil he probably gets 15
feet of spark, while on the other hand if i put 60 amps to my 8 inch coil, I'll
get only 10 feet and roast 1/4 inch tungston electrodes in 1 minute on the rsg!
This leads me to a question. Is it correct to say that in tesla coil
applications, Are the electrons flowing on the outer surface area of the
conductor, specificly on the secondary. And if so, is it correct in reasoning
to increase wire surface area in order to allow more flow throught the system.
And as a result, longer sparks? Thanks everyone!