RE: In search of a good trigger point

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Finn:

I think the problem you describe is due to the fact that the waveform you
want to see is not truly periodic, due to jitter in the gap timing.  Each
occurrence (sweep) is slightly different than the previous one.  I don't
think it's possible to get a stable, multi-sweep display capturing both
mains and tank frequency events.  This is the reason for having storage and
even better, digitizing scopes.  You only want to capture one sweep, and who
cares if the next one is slightly different.

But it's not clear why you're concerned with both mains and tank frequency
events.  The time scales are so different that if you can see one, the other
will be lost.  I would think you would just trigger on the mains for RSG
timing, or on the indictor voltage for ringdown.  Just beware with the fiber
voltage probe near the tank, I've found that it picks up the tank field and
results in an invalid reading.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA