Re: Blown Capacitor!!

Original poster: "Chip Atkinson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chip-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi guys,

I can't remember how much it has exactly.  I think it has 10 rows of 40
caps each, though I'm not positive.  It is between 280 and 400 caps
though.  I'll check tomorrow night, as I can't get to it tonight.

While Terry did the bulk of the design, I'll say that Terry and I designed
it to be very robust and run at very high break rates.  I think that is
partially what killed the commercial caps that I had.  They did blow up
with a very loud boom.

The MMC cap that replaced them was actually cheaper and better.  Halloween
1999 was very decent TC wise and the MMC withstood one or two direct hits
to the primary.  A couple times I thought I saw flames coming from the
rotary gap/Cap box, shut the thing down and inspected.  No problems and I
fired it back up.  The MMC cap is really great and I do plan on making
another one or two eventually so that I can test the coil with greater
capacitance to see if the sparks are longer and hotter.

Chip