Re: More Coupling...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Concerning an air-cored mutual inductance calculator program at
http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/acmi/

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz wrote:

> ...I noticed that there is a bug in the program. The calculated
> coupling coefficient is always the same, no matter the distance
> between the coils...

Gosh, yes! This turns out to be quite a serious error in the code
which affects the calculated M for all transformers, not just the
flat coils. The relative height of the two coil bases was not
accounted for properly. The fault escaped my original tests, since
the test samples started from the same baseline.

A fixed v0.1d is now uploaded to the website.

Antonio, many thanks for pointing this out. I've been getting
some discrepancy with measured values, which I glibly put down to
the effect of mutual capacitance between the windings (which is
quite high). I suspect this fix will clear up some of these
problems.

Regards,
--
Paul Nicholson,