Re: Magnifier Coil

In a message dated 12/12/00 8:49:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> > Hello, I was just wondering what a magnifier coils it, what do they do?
> They
>  > must magnify something, but what?
>  >
>  > Thanks Corey

Corey,

They magnify the difficulty of building the coil...   Just kidding  :)

A magnifier is a type of Tesla coil that uses 3 coils instead of just
two.  There is a primary and secondary like in a normal coil, except
the secondary is short and squat and tightly coupled to the primary.
A wire or metal pipe connects the top of the secondary to the bottom
of the third coil which is placed some distance away, usually off to
the side.  In a typical magnifier, the output sparks are the same lenght
as with a normal coil, so nothing is really magnified.  Theoretical  work
by Dr. DeQuieroz suggests that a magnifier may be able to outperform
a little, if it's built a special way, with special relationships between
the coils, etc.  This is explained at his website for which I do not
have the url handy.

John Freau