Misc. Ozone calculations

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <NuclearFirestorm-at-aol-dot-com>

In my merck index the following info can be found:
It occurs at sea level in concentrations of  .05 ppm,  pleasent smell less
than 2ppm, the smell of rain maybe?

Using their data for the heat of formation, I calculate the energy needed to
create ozone to be 3000.65 joules per gram.

To create one cubic meter of 50 ppm ozone air one would only need .3213
joules used in making ozone.   That is .00010709 mg per liter for a one hour
exposure.  For one hour fatalities hydrogen cyanide needs to be at .03333 mg
per liter and Sarin nerve gas at .01166mg per liter this makes ozone 311
times more powerful than HCN and 109 times more toxic than nerve gas.  These
calculations were made using figures from "Chemical Warfare Agents Toxicology
and Treatment" .

Even ignoring my possibly errored calculations above, simply comparing the
extreme high and low figures for nerve gas versus hydrogen cyanide shows that
Sarin nerve gas is only between 3 and 30 times as toxic as cyanide gas.

I now have the calculations to say what I was when first writing this e-mail.
 Those figures for ozone are way overblown.  Ozone, would likely break up
quickly in the body and even if it didn't it only can work by a general lung
injurant method.  Where as in nerve gas a single molecule disables a rare
enzyme in the nervous system.  Obviously a more potent method for a substance
to kill by.

Just a thought, Matt Massey