RF Chokes (was Re: Third try at first light)

Original poster: "Stephen Carpenter" <sjc-at-carpanet-dot-net>

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 07:33:54PM -0700, Tesla list may have written:
> > $25 is still alot of money to us poor college students. ive seen some
> > coilers using wire wrapped around some pvc or toilet paper tubes. is
> > this sufficient for a small coil?
>
> If your talking about RF chokes I don't know. I wouldn't think that it would
> be enough, but I also thought that the general consensus was steering clear
> of RF chokes.

May I ask what the reason for this is?

On my first coil - I used RF Chokes. Ran great. The first time I got lazy and
connected it up without the chokes (I never made a permenant setup - all the
parts were seprate) - it burned out my tranny (an oil burner) within a few
seconds.

On another ocasion, a while later, I did it again, and was again lazy, and
burned out an NST (which was half burned before it was given to me) within
a few seconds. (I am currently depotting both of these trannies to see if
I can get them working again)

However, the times I ran it with the choke coils - it worked great. My plan
for the next setup is to make 2 new choke coils (I never liked the old ones
- long story as to why).

Actually...I was planning to make a sort of high voltage side RF filter
by hooking a choke coil up to each tranny output and a cap going to ground
(havn't investigated good values but - I figure a few peices of poly and foil
should do the job nicely)

Is this a bad idea? I have noticed talk of protecting trannies with large
resitors and such, what are the advantages/disavantages here?

-Steve
--
"If you shake it more than 3 times you are playing with it."
                -- Mike Laramie