Re: Who needs a quenching gap ?

Original poster: "Finn Hammer" <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>

Gary, all!

I am using the same models, and gap models as you, and maby I am putting
my opinion incorrectly.

What I mean is, that the model can predict, how many times the energy
transfers from primary to secondary, back again, and so forth, before
the energy is completely dissipated into the load. On this coil, it
happens within 2 envelopes, both in the models as in real life. On the
Museum coil, the transfer took up to 5 notches, and this was happening
also both in the model as in real life.

So when I said quench, I really ment energy depletion in the primary
circuit. And looking a bit more at the coil`s actual behaviour, this
would be a better description, since the gap actually quenches about
100µS after breakdown. That is when the cap starts charging again.

Cheers, Finn Hammer