Re: 200:1 Potential Transformer

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Jason,

Smart question (hope I can give a smart answer):

Higher voltage at the cap can be very desirable, but over-voltage is a typical
failure for caps in disruptive high voltage tesla service. How far you push the
tranny depends on two things. (1) The cap rating and (2) your over-volt safety
factor. Periodially, the cap may see Vp-p voltages as well as high
transients. At
24KVrms your looking at a cap rating of 24kv x 1.414 x 2 = ~68kv minimum! A
typical safety factor is 3 times the cap rating. For example, if a cap is
rated at
60kv(AC), then don't pump in less than 20KV at the tranny. Some like to
extend the
factor higher than 3 depending on their experience and/or fear of loosing a
high
dollar cap. Safety gaps of course help to prevent popping a cap. Don't rely
on the
safety gap to limit the cap voltage. Rely on your design.

Take care,
Bart