Re: sstc driver help

Jan:  I am assuming you are planning to drive the Tesla coil secondary
directly with the output of your transformer (no primary).  If that is not
the case, ignore the following.

500 W will not make a very long spark and will not break out of a large
toroid. I would guess you are looking at a maximum of a 4 inch diameter
secondary and a 6 inch diameter toroid.

Watch out for input impedance considerations.  The coils I have built have
input impedances in the range of 30 to 120 ohms.  If you apply a square wave
with rms value of 3 kV to a secondary with 100 ohms impedance, you get an
rms current of about 30 A, or a power of 90 kW.  If you are power limited,
you may be designing for too high a voltage.  I run up to 30 kW into my
coil, but it does not require more than 1000 to 1500 V input.

At resonance, input current is in phase with input voltage to a secondary. I
use a current transformer to monitor current.  When it is maximum, the top
voltage is also maximum.

I started by using a full wave bridge, but instrumention is simpler with a
half bridge.

Gary Johnson