RE: Output

The Sphere Spark vs Kilovolts Fig 25 graph shown in the Tesla Coil
Construction Guide is based on Tesla coil empirical data and not on any
standard sphere gap table. As Jim points out these standard tests  are made
with very special setups. The empirical data I used came from coilers who
had tested their coils under much different conditions. With this data I
obtained an equation (non linear) by mathematical regression (least-squares)
and used this equation to generate the graph.

The graph has proven to be reasonably accurate in the past. However, because
of the many variables involved and the different test conditions only a
rough approximation of spark length vs kilovolts can be realized in making a
graph of this type. I have also modified the graphs to show spark lengths vs
kilovolts for neon sign transformers (NST) which are slightly shorter spark
lengths.

 My books also show many other types of graphs for other Tesla coil
parameters based on empirical data. As no one has ever made similar graphs
of some of these graphs it is not possible to make comparisons in most
cases.

The JHCTES Tesla coil computer programs use information from these graphs.

John Couture