Re: Unknown type of HV capacitor

No... all you really want is to have the source be high enough impedance
that it doesn't kill the Q of the capacitor.  And, you want the resistance
low enough so that the RC time constant of the R and C is fairly short (so
you get a good step into the cap.)

You could use a capacitively coupled pulse generator, or something like a
transmission line pulse generator... It's a bit tricky because you want
good HF response (to put all the power into the RLC, so it rings) but you
also don't want to load it.  Go far enough with this and you wind up with a
RLC bridge...

Try it on some caps you have lying around first.... like those ceramic 0.1
bypass caps, for instance...