Re: what is a Magnifier??

In a message dated 8/25/00 9:46:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: DANIMAL799-at-aol-dot-com
>
>  i am a total newbie at coiling,a nd i am curious as to what a magnifier
is??

>  i have read a bunch of stuff on other peoples web sites about coiling and
>  have heard people talking about magnifiers quite often.  is that the
system
>  that tesls was using for wireless power transmission???    -danny
>  albuquerque nm.

Danny,

A magnifier is a type of tesla coil that is very similar to a standard
tesla coil.  The only difference is the the secondary is a short
coil wound with thick wire, and a wire or metal pipe connects the
top of the secondary to the base or bottom of the wire of a third
coil, and the sparks emit from the top of the toroid on the third
coil.  In magnifiers as they are typically built, (all that have been
built so far that give sparks), there is no efficiency advantage.
The coupling is made very tight between the primary and
secondary, but the overall coupling is still rather loose.  The
third coil is set some distance away from the secondary, so
there's no magnetic coupling between two.

I've made extensive comparisons of these coil systems in the
past.

Progress through innovation, knowledge and experiment,
John Freau