Re: Inductive Kick LTR Pig Systems

Hi Robin,

	It seems like your system should pull about 55 amps RMS from a quick
model.  Looks like the firing voltage is around 28kV.  So:

1/2 x 60nF x 28000^2 x 200 = 4.7kW

You are putting in 240 x 55 = 13.2 kW

So the power factor seems pretty bad.  Realize that I am just typing
numbers into a keyboard and guessing here but...

A 500uF cap could probably knock 20 amps off the current for 8.4 kVA.  That
would allow your variacs and all to run better.  Since you are firing at 4
times the line frequency and seem to have a fair amount of ballast to limit
the voltage on the caps, things do not seem "optimal" here on the other
side of the world ;-))  but I would try the PFC caps with care as a start.

Note that this is all arm waving so take it with a grain of salt, buyer
beware and all...

Do you have a web page that describes you system?  If you could measure the
DC resistance of your pig's secondary too, it would fill in a hole in the
model...

Cheers,

	Terry