Re: Ok, what is an LTR cap.

Hi Bart,

	A 14.4kV 694mA pig should deliver 10000 watts.  If we divide 10000 watts
by 120 BPS we get the energy per bang as 83 joules.  The peak voltage is
14.4 x SQRT(2) = 20.4 kV peak.  So what size cap when charge to 20.4 kV
will hold 83 joules?

E = 1/2 x C * V^2  or  C = 2 x E / V^2

C = 0.401uF  Assuming losses eat some of that up the 0.351 number sounds
perfectly correct.

However, pole pigs can be ballasted in all kinds of ways so you would have
to look at the total system to be sure the the equations would apply to a
pig system.

Cheers,

	Terry

At 06:35 PM 8/24/00 -0500, you wrote:
Hi Mark, Terry,

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Mark Broker" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>

> Actually, PIG's are STR's (smaller than resonant). Typically, coilers use a
> 10kva, 14.4kv pig's. Resonant caps are 0.128uF (from memory). Obvisouly
HUGE!
> We typically use smaller than resonant caps (STR's) on our systems. NST's
> however (and OBIT's), can use LTR's. Could you imagine the joules for a pig
> using an LTR? I see smoke, fire, wooosh!!! Well, for most of us, not Greg,
> Bill, Hull, etc... or you Chris (yet?).

Actually, Terry's MMC Calc gives me .351uF.
For a 240/14.4kv, 694mA, 20,749 ohm pig? Terry is .351uF correct? I though
a matching reosnant cap size should be 0.128uF. Maybe my math is wrong
here. Someone please clarify?

Bart
 Chris and I have a design, and are
attempting to gather enough caps (912 of Terry's, or any other combo that will
work).  Did you know that there's a world-wide tantulum shortage?  I even
have the
PC board mask already laid out (I think).

I thought that it was really 13.8kV nominal?

Mark