From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 7:11 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: The great and silly transmission line debate

Original poster: paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk

In order to prevent another of those embarrassing debates
between the 'alternative' lumped and transmission line

-------------------   big snip

I will add this: effective methods are available to estimate
the equivalent C to go with the solenoid's L. The same is not
true of the R. There is no currently accepted theory which can
give a value of effective R for a given coil geometry. Some
empirical work has led to tables which estimate R but these only
work up to, but not including the lowest resonant frequency.
Thus it is still not possible to predict the Q factor or input
impedance of a tesla resonator, even after a century of use!

But thats another subject, perhaps the one we should be debating!

Regards All.