Re: Paper/Oil Capacitors

>>Snip <<
>>I thought it would be a good idea to make a rolled poly cap with
paper-poly-paper layers. I figure >>this would help keep the heat and corona
away from the poly that would prompt premature failure, >>and also improve
the voltage rating and dielectric properties.

>> Reply Snip <<
>your idea of using paper, poly, paper is a very good one. I wish I would
>have thought of it a year ago.
>One thing though, wood pulp dissolves in oil after a time. that is why
>you use paper towels to clean the inside of an engine block before
>rebuilding, not a rag.
>but when I was in drafting at V.O. Tech (back before cad), we used a lot
>of velum, I'm not sure what it was made out of but it seemed to be some
>kind of impregnated paper?

I wouldn't be surprised that wood doesn't last long in motor oil. Petroleum
based oils you add detergents, ashless dipersants,(keeps carbon particles in
suspension), anti-foaming agents, acid neutralizers, flash suppression
agents, etc.  You get the picture. I would think that paper would fare much
better in pure mineral oil or transformer oil because of lack of chemical
additives.

Comments?

Thank you,

Ronn Duke