Re: Ok, what is an LTR cap.

Hi Chris, I've got a little correction below:

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> >Original poster: "Garry F." <garryfre-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> >
> >What does LTR stand for?
> >
> >Latent tank Resonator?
> >Laughing Tan Rodents?
>
> lol, Larger Than Resonant
>
> There is a list of acronyms for Tesla use on our site (opps, rewrote the
> site) alright there WILL be a Tesla Lexicon on our site in a few hours (or
> days, whenever I remember to yell at Eclipse) lol. This is a hobby FULL of
> acronyms.

And continuously growing!

> Larger Than Resonant means simply that the tank cap is signifigantly larger
> than it needs to be to perform tesla duty. This is frequently done in rotary
> gap coils used with PIGs.

Actually, PIG's are STR's (smaller than resonant). Typically, coilers use a
10kva, 14.4kv pig's. Resonant caps are 0.128uF (from memory). Obvisouly HUGE!
We typically use smaller than resonant caps (STR's) on our systems. NST's
however (and OBIT's), can use LTR's. Could you imagine the joules for a pig
using an LTR? I see smoke, fire, wooosh!!! Well, for most of us, not Greg,
Bill, Hull, etc... or you Chris (yet?).

Take care,
Bart