Re: fire safety

Hi David,

	Many thanks for your great thoughts on this!  Tesla coils can and have
started a number of fires.  The ones "I" have heard of have all been easily
taken care of, but he possibility for really burning one's house down, or
worse, is very real!  An arc can easily find it's way to drywall screws and
other metal in the wall that can concentrate an arc into a hot spot.  Thus
starting a smoldering area deep inside the walls.  Sometime later, you
could suddenly have a serious fire when you didn't expect it.  An arc to
the AC line can ignite an electrical fire in outlets and fuse panels that
can cause a real problem very quickly too.  It is best to have a grounded
rod or something to absorb arcs safely rather than just randomly hitting
the woodwork...

	Of course, one should rid the garage of gas cans, and other flammables
that a streamer could hit before powering up.  MMCs have helped to
eliminate the exploding oil cap problem, but one should always be ready for
something seriously going wrong "really quick".  A fire extinguisher and a
fast way "out of the area" are always very important!!

	Before using any fire extinguishers, one must be sure to remove all power
to the coil and be careful of charge caps and such (glad were all using
drain resistors ;-)).  I recommend looking and thinking through the bad
situations BEFORE one starts.  Then you can have a little idea what to do
incase of mishaps.  Having even a slight idea of a "plan" can really help.
Of course, never do anything 'stupid'.  If something really does go very
bad, get away and save yourself from the danger.  Garages get burnt out and
repaired all the time.  It is far better to "run away and then think"
rather than do something "fast without thinking"...  Of course, if you
forgot to turn the power off the your pole pig before you ran, be sure to
let the fire department know that before they turn the water on it!

Neal Armstrong (I think) was once asked what he would do if his space craft
was going to blow up in ten seconds.  He replied "I would THINK for nine
seconds, and THEN act..."

Cheers,

	Terry