Re: Well, I know what's wrong - My brand new NST fried!!

OOUUCH!!!

I too am a "customer" of the 'new NST' market.  I know all to well the work
needed...

My, you are a fine intelligent young man!  Why don't you own this place??....

I am the largest Northern Colorado researcher in 'neon sign transformer
technology'!  I am surprise you lost our file!!  Here is my personal visa card,
just charge it here for now....

Tax exempt number...,  Geeez I can never remember that stuff, just add the
tax.  Our fine governor needs it anyway...

I'll take 10 of them 15/60's, just load them in the trunk of our corporate Ford
sedan, with the baby seat, out there...  Do you want me to pull it up to the

Well... It is actually good that it is solidly dead and that it is a new NST.
The short is probably very local and easy to fix once you get at it.  I think
you will have to melt off the tar using one of the various methods and then
your will be "home free".  NSTs are very basic transformers and the problems
are obvious.  Probably a burnt out sedcondary wire or secondary short that is
easy to fix...  This was no doubt caused by over voltage or high frequencies
getting to the transformer.  I will point to my protection filter (albeit post
mortum) at:

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/NSTFilt.jpg

It protects against over voltage and high frequency damage.  An input line fuse
is also recommended for total protection of the NST.

Very sorry you are having a hard time in this "hobby".  I hope your were
looking forward to more than the "typical" challenge ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry