Re: Parallel and Series LCR Circuit Qs

Sorry I wasn't more clear. What I meant was that in the Norton
equivalent, a zero output-impedance (in parallel with the ideal
current source) intuitivly results in a zero-output voltage.

Speaking of equivalent circuits (Thevenin, Norton etc). I have been
doing some simple circuit analysis for fun (I'm making some simple
numerical models for a classical TC in Matlab). Here is a useful
result that I derived about a week ago - it is a simple transformation
for a two terminal, two element linear network that lets me
progressively collapse and absorb the elements in a network
(reducing the number of numerical parameters by 1 each time).

This transformation probably has a name - has someone on the list
has come across it before?

fixed width (courier) font etc:

o---WWW---+
     r    |
          E Xs

o---------+

o---+------+
    |      |
    W      E
    W R    E Wp
    W      E
    |      |
o---+------+

To transform in either direction use

R = r(1 + Q^2)
Xp = Ws (1 + INV[Q^2])

where Q = Xs/r = R/Xp as usual

Note that Q will be negative for capacitive reactances, but since the
equations use Q^2 this isn't a problem.

Example:

Consider the following circuit:

    3j    3j
o--www-+-www-+
       |     |
       c     R
   -3j c     R 10
       c     R
       |     |

In this example, applying the transformation one element at a time
results in a purely resistive circuit (1 ohm) - which is not
immediately apparent at first sight.

Best regards,

Gavin Hubbard

P.S. I realise that my second paragraph in that previous post was
incorrect also - of course a zero-impedance output impedance in
parallel with a ideal current source won't give an infinite loop current!
I have to stop writing these emails so late at night :-o