From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2000 5:36 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Parallel and Series LCR Circuit Qs

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <M.J.Watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Gavin,

On 21 Aug 00, at 6:49, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: ghub005-at-xtra.co.nz
>
> > Original poster: "Richard Kircher" <richard.kircher-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>
> <snip>
>
> >  Most confusing to me is impedance matching to the load/streamer.
> >  Some
> > folks think that the most power transfer occurs when the source
> > impedance is matched to the load impedance.  Don't try that idea with
> > your car battery.  The most power transfer occurs when the source
> > impedance is ZERO ohms and this applies to all lumped component
> > circuits.  Of course, absolute zero is not achievable especially when
> > the Cp/Cs ratio is high in the world of realizable coil parameters.
> > Given that the streamer impedance can't be changed or matched, it
> > would seem the only thing left to do is to make the coil output
> > resistance as low as possible (high efficiency) and match the reactive
> > component.
>
> Richard
>
> Surely a source impedance of zero ohms means that your power
> source also has a zero output voltage? (Ohm's law)
>
> For maximum power transfer you will need to make the TC's output
> impedance equal to the complex conjugate of the spark impedance
> i.e. match the resistive componets and reverse the reactive
> component. This will give you a theoretical maximum efficiency of
> 50% (as at least half of the power will always dissipated in the
> source impedance).
>
> Of course, the spark impedance probably isn't linear - so all this
> may be moot. I would recommend that you just aim for the ballpark
> and concentrate on reducing losses in the SG and primary etc etc.

Technically a voltage source has an internal impedance of zero
ohms. By definition this means it can deliver any amount of
current asked of it with no voltage drop at its terminals. A
large lead-acid battery comes close to this definition as does
a power station.

Regards,
Malcolm
<snip>