Re: I need a HV-transformer

Hi Mike!

Nice to meet another scandinavian coiler on the list.

The 4000 kV trannies are probably not center tapped, so you could take
2, parallell the primary`s, and series the secondary`s with the center
tap grounded. 8kV is more than enough.

You could also use Oil Burner Ignition transformers, they are around
10-12 kV, 18-20mA, so a nice cluster of those in parallel would get you
far.

Both kinds of transformers are fragile, they don`t like to reach high
voltages too often, since they are designed to run into shorts.

I`ve had fine results with just 2 Micro wawe oven transformers,
primary`s in parallel, secondary`s in series. This gives only around 5
kV on the cap at dischargetime, still it is enough for around 60cm of
spark. And this is with only 18 caps in the MMC capacitor. This is the
kind if coil I have around to fire in the basement.

Of course you could antissipate the future, go Whole Hog, and wind your
own transformer, that will follow you to beyond 250 cm. sparks, as can
be seen at:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/tesla.htm
Look at "homemade pig"

I can help you get the core, if you want to follow that route.

Cheers, Finn Hammer