Re: Avalon's condition

> Hi Avaloners:
> As a Geek lurker, may I offer a comment?
> Based on the image I get of this wonderland, have you considered tearing
> down the buildings and filling in the areas condemned by the EPA then
> starting with...literally, a level playing field? I suggest this for safety
> and compatibilty, not compromise, for the desired future equipment as well
> as the testing area?

This is off topic, but I think I need to make a clarification.

The Avalon Complex is not as bad as I made it sound.  I felt that Chris was
painting a rosie picture, and that I should add the gray hues (I am an
expert at
pessimissivity).  I got a little carried away, and a rather bleak picture
resulted.

There are buildings that will only require a sand blasting, a coat of
paint, and
a push-broom (or even less, in the case of the offices) to clean up.  There
are
other locations that will require the removal of MANY tons of steel, but
then
will only require the above proceedure.  Then there are a few that will
require
moderate wood and masonary rework (leaky roofs, holes/cracks in floors and
walls) in addition to the above proceedure.  There are probably only 2 or 3
buildings (and really only portions of them) that will need massive amounts
of
wood and masonary work (HEAVY rot, esp in structural members).

The demolition, removal, and rebuilding of these two or three buildings
would
most likely cost considerably more than a renovation.

Besides, you lose the character of the old buildings

Mark