Re: VTTC tuned primaries?

In a message dated 8/20/00 9:46:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk
>

>  I notice in a couple of recent posts about valve driven CW
>  coils, a tendency to resonate the primary with an additional
>  capacitor. Why is this? It seems to me that a tuned
>  primary is a liability in this mode of operation.
>  --
>  Paul Nicholson,
>  Manchester, UK.

Paul,

It is possible that a tuned tank circuit results in a better impedance
match to the tube, or results in a better resonant build up?  In any
case I've been able to obtain considerably longer sparks using a
tuned tank circuit.  Using an untuned primary, and varying the
coupling to adjust the impedance, I got sparks that were about
28% shorter.  Perhaps there is some way to obtain the same
good performance from an untuned tank...I didn't spend a lot of
time at it.

Cheers,
John Freau