MOT-PSU

Hello fellow tube coilers,

As I couldn't find a suitable plate xformer for my VTTC, I decided to
give MOTs a chance. Several coilers had written to the list, that
MOTs "more or less" are current limited, but I couldn't find any
"hard" number. Therefore I performed some tests and would like to
share the results with you:

1. setup:
I connected two MOTs back-to-back and stacked another one for
higher output voltage. This HV was connected via 2 diodes to a
load capacitor 32 µF / 6 kVdc (half wave rectifier).
results:
V in Vdc		I in mAdc		P in W
===============================
5400			---				---
1800			100			180
1380			150			207
1020			200			204

2. setup:
I paralleled the 1st MOT with another one (similar volume/voltage)
in order to get more current.
results:
V in Vdc		I in mAdc		P in W
===============================
5400			---				---
2460			100			246
1860			150			280
1620			200			324
1440			250			360

3. setup:
Using setup #1 I added another 3 MOTs and 2 diodes to form a
center tap connection (full wave rectifier).
results:
V in Vdc		I in mAdc		P in W
===============================
5400			---				---
3180			100			320
2400			150			360
1800			200			360
1500			250			375

4. setup:
2 MOTs (similar voltage/volume) back-to-back. Mains input 230 V /
50 Hz. Vac and Aac measured with analog instruments.
results:
load       load voltage  load current  load power
(Ohms)  (Vac)            (Aac)           (W)
=================================
18  	  95			5.0              475
37.5       140               3.6              504
75          170               2.2              374
150        185               1.2              222
---           190

These results were very dissapointing indeed for my application,
but now I've a much better feeling what's possible with MOTs and
what's not.

Regards

Herwig