Re: Parallel and Series LCR Circuit Qs

Hi All,
	It sure sounds like a lot of things are important in TC design.  Maybe the
prime question is "what's most important".  I suggest the key to that
answer is $$$'s (component cost) and your source of energy.  Certainly,
without a high Cp/Cs ratio there won't be much voltage or possibly a
decline in voltage as an extreme.  Voltage is squared in the Energy
equation while capacitance is not.  I did not mean to say that a high Cp/Cs
ratio should be obtained by making Cs small.  I agree with all that say Cs
should be large, but that only means that Cp also has to be large in
proportion to maintain the high Cp/Cs ratio.

	I really don't know where the compromise should be made when Cp size is
limited by $$$'s for the primary capacitor and power source (AC Transformer
or DC Supply).  I would take my hat off to anyone that has that answer
nailed down taking all variables and non-linearities into account.  Of
course, we all learn quickly that it is not just dollars and Cp that limits
a TC's performance, there are other factors like Lp (primary coil) physical
limitations, proportion, silver plated copper, efficiency, voltage
break-down ratings, cost, cost, cost, etc. too.

	Efficiency and Impedance matching are also intriguing and important
subjects.  I still think efficiency, (aka Q) is of prime importance FOR THE
OVERALL COIL.  The secondary dissipative losses are not that important
because the reactive impedance levels are high by comparison, so who care
about 100 ohms.  On the primary side, losses in the coil, spark gap, and
capacitor are very important.  The 10,000 amp primary current also flows
thru the capacitor and makes me a little concerned about the MMC made from
the interconnection of a lot of "thin" (compared to copper tubing) wire
leads.  MMC's are very popular these days so the thin wire lead worry and
internal construction may not be valid - another "don't know" for me.

	Most confusing to me is impedance matching to the load/streamer.  Some
folks think that the most power transfer occurs when the source impedance
is matched to the load impedance.  Don't try that idea with your car
battery.  The most power transfer occurs when the source impedance is ZERO
ohms and this applies to all lumped component circuits.  Of course,
absolute zero is not achievable especially when the Cp/Cs ratio is high in
the world of realizable coil parameters.  Given that the streamer impedance
can't be changed or matched, it would seem the only thing left to do is to
make the coil output resistance as low as possible (high efficiency) and
match the reactive component.

	Terry's work indicates that the streamer impedance is capacitive (1pF per
foot)  Therefore it sounds like the coil should be inductive to tune it
out.  Alternately, it would seem that the streamer de-tunes the coil and
lowers the secondary resonate frequency.  So, I guess the primary should be
tuned lower in frequency than the secondary to start with (?).  I wonder
how much lower?  Maybe the answer is to just tune the coil by trial and
error until the maximum streamer length is reached and forget about the
grid dip meter.  Any ideas about this (or any ramblings) would be welcome.

Dick (K2YZ)