Re: Avalon, and Lockout for Safety

Hi Joshua,

	The X-ray transformer probably only puts out 10mA or something like that.
Maybe 1000+ watts.  Not enough raw VI power.  A "little"* 1 Million VA
generator would give Chris, say 2400 volts at 260 amps three phase.  That
will suck about 70 gallons of diesel fuel an hour!!**  Perfect for running
his big coil at 1 million watts but the three phase would have to be
converted for the coil.  Of course, it could light the place up while it
was at idling.  Specs on such a toy from Onan are at:

http://www.onan-dot-com/na/pdf/en/products/powergeneration/s1192.pdf

Note the VA (volts x amps) is sort of like watts but "they" rate them in VA
due to power factor concerns.  Also, note that these are really alternators
not generators.  Everyone calls them generators because that's how Edison
spelled alternator.  ;-))  Only the auto companies ever got that one right...

However, if the X-ray transformer can put out a hundred or so milliamps.
It may be a great candidate for driving a Tesla coil.

Cheers,

	Terry

*In terms of AC power generation, 1MVA is actually "tiny"...

**AT $1.50 per gallon for 1000kWh, about 10.5 cents per kWh... Not that bad
really...