RE: MIG tips and Acrylic

Sam:
Not sure what style of static gap you plan. However, the circular or RQ
style uses copper sweat tubes. The Scot D style uses the same or slightly
larger tubes in a zig-zag W array. I chose that style for convenience of
alignment, cleaning etc.
The tubes (1.75 in. diam) are mounted on aluminum U channel (3/8 sq) for
separation from the melamine shelving I used as base platforms. Five above
and four below for a total of 9.
A 150cfm 115V fan draws air from between the tubes for quenching.

I believe HDPE would soften with heat. And so would some acrylics except
perhaps Lexan.

Safety first.

Ted R.
Subject: MIG tips and Acrylic

Original poster: "Sam Beck" <Sam-at-peterbeck-dot-com>

	Hello all.  I've been looking around for parts for my static spark
gap and I came across a posting that listed MIG welder tips as good
electrodes.  I've found somebody that will sell me 1/4 inch OD tips for $1
each.  Is 1/4" to small?  Also I was either going to go with acrylic or
HDPE for my gap supports.  Which is the better choice?

	Sam Beck