RE: Tube coil related questions

Carl,

Whats wrong with a string of 20 or 30 1N5408s, with 10M resistors for
voltage sharing? Its driving into a filter cap isn't it? Shouldn't have much
RF leakage back into the diodes, then... Heaps more current handling than
microwave diodes... Pot the whole thing in epoxy to make it compact. Super
cheap, and the potting makes it look more professional...

If you're going to use a couple of MO diodes in parallel, connect a 1R
resistor in series with each diode. This will help to distribute current
evenly between them. Simply paralleling them up ~might~ not do anything
useful if the diodes aren't well matched.

Chris

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 8/16/00 7:59:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I have an 833A coil that has given great performance with one small
>  problem:  the microwave-oven diode that I use in my "level-shifted (or
>  doubler)" supply gets toasted now and then.  I believe John Freau has
>  suggested, and probably correctly, that this is due to large RF kickback.
>  Anyway, I wanted to eliminate this issue, and was thinking about other
>  rectifier options.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

The contents of this email (including any attachments) may be
privileged and confidential. Any unauthorised use of the contents
is expressly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error,
please advise us immediately (you can contact us by telephone
on +61 8 9441 2311 by reverse charge) and then permanently
delete this email together with any attachments. We appreciate
your cooperation.

Whilst Orbital endeavours to take reasonable care to ensure
that this email and any  attachments are free from viruses or other
defects, Orbital does not represent or warrant that such are free from
computer viruses or other defects.

(C) 2000: Orbital Engine Company (Australia) Pty Ltd and its affiliates