Re: Cutting Metals

On that fateful day 8/14/00 3:56 PM, thus spake Tesla list:

> Original poster: "Edward Wingate" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>
>

>> Mark B
>> Actually water is the best lubricant for drilling and cutting holes in steel
>> or aluminum. It lubricates as good as oil, it cools 100 times better,
>> (You'll never burn up tools using water), and it does not leave an oily
>> mess. If you're worried about rust, just clean up the shavings and hit the
>> tools and work with a shot of WD-40 (Water Displacement). (Take it from a 20
>> year Navy machinist who is a friend of mine).
>> FYI
>>
>> Ronn Duke
>> (new to the list)
>> Dukester-at-home-dot-com
>
> Ronn,
>
> This is way off topic, but as a toolmaker in the metal cutting business
> for 30+ years and counting, I have to disagree with your statement.
> There are many commercial cutting fluids on the market which are far
> superior to water and will actually enhance the cutting speed while
> protecting the tool edge and producing a better finish. Straight water
> is a very bad choice if you value your investment in machine tools!
>
> Ed Wingate RATCB

I consulted with one of the Colorado Mad Scientists Club, a tool and die
maker with some twenty years or more experience, and he said the same thing.

I've never heard, from any machinist's text (and I've read several) or any
machinist or ME of using water as a cutting fluid.  It's cooling properties
may be good, but it has no lubrication capability, and that's one of the
primary functions of a cutting fluid.  Water and oil are occasionally used
in an emulsion (with various nasty chemicals) in very large machine tools,
but I've never seen water alone used by anyone who knew what they were
doing.

- Gomez

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our
fellow men; and along these fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions
run as causes, and they come back to us as effects." -Herman Melville