Re: Avalon pics, and a large (but wus) PIG

At 02:42 PM 8/12/00 +0000, you wrote:

Hi Chris,

snip...

>The little (apprk 10kVA) PIG on the side of Mill-E (one of the buildings in
>the Avalon complex) has long since been painted yellow. There is no way to
>locate, much less read the plate. It's still wired to the building, and may
>be (but most likely isn't) hot.
>
>The building has long since been abandoned, and there is only power on for
>lighting. I have no idea what's on the other side of that wall.
>
>How do we get the PIG? It's only 8' off the ground, and small enough for a
>large man to lift, but I need to kill the HV from outside.
>
>Ideas?

If it is feed by the utility's 14,400 or something nasty like that, the
local utilities are ususally more than happy to de-energize the high
voltage from old equipment.  If it is on private property, they need the
owner's permission and all that stuff (actually, they don't), but when it
comes to disconnecting high voltage things from their lines (especially old
defunct things), the utlity company should be more than happy to help.  If
you do "something" yourself with these lines and voltages to try and
disconnect the pig yourself and the utility finds out, they will get all
"bent out of joint".  Best to let them help you here and befriend them...

Note that they may get "disconnecting happy" if they find a bunch of other
messy stuff there too.  They may pull power to the whole place if they
think it is a hazard, so maybe want to think about calling them.  Maybe
best to leave the pig thing alone rather than work in the dark....

Of course, the electrical hazards are extreme as you well know...

Of course, "reconnecting" things is a whole other issue.  They won't bend
over backwards there :-)))

Cheers,

	Terry