Re: I need some help quick re: warning friends of Ozone.

In a message dated 8/13/00 10:26:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Hi all,

<< After a few minutes of operation it was filled with fumes of brown
 nitrogendioxide, NO2. >>

Everyone please pardon my ignorance, but I'm assuming this explains
the dingy, brown film that eventually builds up on the surface of every-
thing in the same room with the Tesla coil after several hours of opera-
tion. I was thinking in the past that this was due to the metallic oxides
generated by the spark gap electrode surfaces being exposed to the
extreme heat of the spark. Also, it seems like this effect is diminished,
though not eliminated, when I use totally non-ferrous metals for the
spark gap electrodes. Even stainless steel seems to have enough iron
to really oxidize at these extreme temps. I know tungsten is the best
metal for this purpose, but brass also seems to be a good choice for me.
Anyway, I know TC operation produces a corrosive environment for
nearby metallic surfaces (tools) and I'm sure NO2 would fall into this
corrosive category. So, is this brown film NO2 deposits or airborne
metal oxide (rust) or a combo of both? And is this NO2 what's causing
the asthma-like side-effects from prolonged coiling in a poorly ventillated
room, or is it the O3? I know the bleach-like sweet odor is the ozone,
even if only 1%, because I've smelt that same odor around copying
machines and the so-called ozone air purifiers, so I'm assuming that the
NO2 is odorless?

Curious,
David R.